Saturday, January 05, 2013

Pierogies

I just came back home from a Polish dinner at Jolka Polka, a newly opened Polish restaurant in Zurich. To be honest, I went there to check how good were Pierogies made by a Pole compared to the ones I made. I took competition seriously. :)

Jolka Polka served two kind of Pierogies: the boiled one and the fried one. There were two fillings you could choose: potato and cheese or meat. It costed CHF 19 for a plate of nine boiled Pierogies and CHF 23 for nine of the fried ones.

I thought, look-wise, I made more beautiful Pierogies. We had similar thing in Indonesia called Pastel or Jalangkote, which gave me the skill in pinching the Pierogies to seal it. Or was it just because I, most of time, liked to pinch? :)

The taste was okay. One might think that potato and cottage cheese tasted not much different when mixed in a restaurant kitchen and at home. 

As dessert, they had a Polish style Apple cake, quite interesting. It consisted of Apple purée on the bottom, sort of, and chocolate layer, tiramisu-y on top. 





These are Pierogies I made the other night. Not too shabby made by Indonesian's hands, yes?


With the same dough and your potentially favourite filling: potato, carrot, green peas, and corned beef, you may deep fried it and called it Pastel.


No comments:

Post a Comment