Sunday, April 07, 2013

Alex Katz

Alex Katz is a great American figurative artist known for the colourful paintings. The pop artist slash post-abstract painter is currently doing an exhibition themed "Landscape" at the Haus Konstruktiv Zurich. Expect many huge paintings about... landscape here.


I wanted to emphasize the word huge so I took this picture. It was a nice painting worth the effort to wait until other visitors went away and gave the clearance to photograph it.


This is my favourite,  Ada in the Grass (1963).  Ada Del Moro is the wife of Alex Katz, posed for him "in the Grass" three years after giving birth to their only son, Vincent Katz.


Blueberry Field 2 (1959) is quite interesting for me. If you see it close enough, you will see that the landscape is not oil on canvas but watercolour and coloured paper on masonite.


Cat is one of the collage works of his. I am living in a no pet allowed apartment so you would understand how much I want to have this Cat, although I am more of a dog person.



No comments:

Post a Comment